Monday, September 24, 2007



Today's bonus chore was to clean out the beater bar under the vacuum. Val and I have twin Dyson vacuums, hers is yellow and mine is purple. After using hers on cleaning Monday for a few weeks, I had to get my own. We love our vacuums and treat them with TLC.

My recipe today isn't a crock pot recipe, but it is almost as easy. I have these wonderful neighbors who have been to Thailand a bit. They are always making this amazing Thai food and bringing it over to share. Sadly, they are moving to Thailand within the month. So I'm going to have to start cooking my own "curries" as Becky Bloomwood would say. After last weeks super yummy dish, I asked them for the recipe and tonight will be my first time trying it on my own. If anyone is brave enough to visit "The Bangkok Emporium" (or your own local Asian specialty store) and look like a complete idiot asking for help choosing a fish sauce and locating the mouse poop peppers, here's a great recipe for you!

Gaang Kiaw Wann (Sweet Spicy red curry)

  • 4 oz red curry paste (I'm using Maesri brand prik khing curry paste)
  • 13 oz coconut milk
  • 1 lb diced raw chicken breast
  • 3 T sugar
  • 1/4 c fish sauce
  • 8 oz baby corn
  • 4 oz water chestnuts
  • 4 oz canned bamboo shoots
  • 6 lime leaves
  • 3-6 mouse poop peppers (new guinea peppers)
  • jasmine rice to serve with

Dice and smash the peppers with a mortar. In a large sauce pan bring to a boil milk and curry paste and pepper mash. Stir constantly and don't allow to scorch, blend very well. Add chicken sugar and fish sauce, boil 5 minutes covered. Mix well each time you add ingredients. Add vegetables and leaves and simmer at least 2 minutes. Serve with rice.

3 comments:

Mikelle said...

Yikes, I dont know if I could whip that up? You'll just have to invite me over next time you make it!

Rochelleht said...

Mmmm that does sound great! But I'm fresh out of mouse poop right now! Looks like I need to go shopping.

Laura said...

I LOVE the idea of cleaning together! How fun!! You look so cute with your sisters at the Cheesecake factory- but who isn't happy when they go there!