Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Puppy Love


Anyone who knows me will find this very hard to believe, but we now have a family dog. He is an indoor dog, which I did not realize existed until I moved out of my home town. Where I grew up, all dogs were free, as in, they didn’t cost money to purchase. They were given to you by a neighbor trying to get rid of their puppies. They also were free to roam around the whole neighborhood. No one had fences, and dogs never came in the house. It took 13 years of begging and pouting for my husband and four sons to wear me thin enough to agree to get a dog. As I knew would happen, I am the one who gets up with the dog at the crack of dawn, I am the one setting his schedule, house training and feeding him. I even pick up 75% of the poop. The boys swore they would pick up all of the poop before we got the dog. As a result, the dog loves me best, and cries when I am gone. This morning Ollie and I were having our morning nap. He wakes up between 5 and 6, so we are ready for a nap at 7:30 when Richard leaves for work. Ollie was asleep on my lap and Richard bent down to kiss me good-bye. Ollie sprung from his sleep and went into a barking fit. So my new BFF is either jealous of my husband, or trying to protect me from his romantic advances. Isn’t he cute?

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

YEAH! A Julie post!! He is so cute!! There is a specific entry in the Love and Logic about kids and pet ownership. But don't actually ask me what you're supposed to do. I obviously don't know. My dog loves me best, too. ;-)

Anonymous said...

cut new puppy! and cute blog... i cant believe how big yuor kids are getting!

Emily said...

Oh, puppies are the best! I just hate that they aren't potty trained . . . Indoor dogs are the best too. They become part of the family, and they are great protection! We got both of our dogs (we have Whippets) when they were puppies, and now they are almost nine years old! Just like kids, they grow up too fast, and one day your dog will be potty trained and have perfect manners, but it will have lost it's puppy look. Gosh, they are SO DANG CUTE. Way to be for giving in to your boys!

Busy Lady said...

Okay that puppy is so cute (cuter in real life!) I can see how he melted your heart. It's almost like having a baby again (but not quite so much work). I'm glad you are enjoying him!

-Nicole

Katrina said...

What a cute puppy! It almost makes me want to get one. Almost.