Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Miss Austen Regrets


I was a bitter sweet movie for me. In "Regrets" I really enjoyed how witty and fun loving Jane seemed. I loved catching glimpses of the places I visited last year when I was in England on my Jane Austen trip.


It was so sad that she could never find any man to truly love, and also heartbreaking for her to die so young. At the end of the movie when Cassandra is burning letters she quotes an actual letter she, Cassandra, wrote to Fanny describing her despair at the loss of her beloved sister. The letter is on display at Chawton Cottage in Alton. I have the great joy of being able to say that I visited there and read the letter myself. As I read that letter tears poured down my face thinking about how much I loved my own sisters and how much I would miss them. I stood in the hallway and copied on a receipt that was in my purse, "I have lost a treasure, such a sister, such a friend as never can have been surpassed. She was the sun of my life, the gilder of every pleasure, the soother of every sorrow; I had not a thought concealed from her, and it is as if I had lost a part of myself." Could there be a more touching tribute?


The best part of the movie for me, was remembering my feelings from my visit to Jane's Home, truly a highlight of my life.

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I just finished it watching it! I was super bugged that they made her famous when she never was. I don't know why they are trying so hard to change her life in these movies.

That said, I did enjoy the movie. I thought she was fun and witty. I loved that much of her dialogue was taken from her real letters and books. My favorite part was the end as well. Listening to Cassandra quote that letter brought that day back to me so sharply. I treasure that visit to her home so much. I cried that day as well and just supped every moment I could out of it. I could have spent days there.

Let's go have a cup of tea and Cassandra's Place, shall we, friend?

Michelle said...

I really liked the show. It was very good. How neat that you got to read that letter. I'm green with envy. It was a great show and I'm looking forward to more Jane Austin.

Katrina said...

Why didn't I post a comment on this when I read it before? Well, I'm sure you don't have an answer to that. But anyway, I loved Regrets for the same reason you did. And didn't like it for the same reasons, too. Why can't they just make a Jane Austen movie about their sisterly bond? Why isn't that moving enough? It seemed moving to me.